Sunday 2 January 2011

'crack/back' photos 2

While waiting for a friend to meet me to go somewhere, i desided to experiement with the idea of the stepping on a crack idea. while the other approach was a good idea and i did like the effect i got with the left and right leg diptics, i wanted to experiment more with abit more of a documentry approach. This time using the camera on my ipod touch *better quality then the one on my phone* as well as having more variety with the techniques and ability to adjust the whitebalence, iso, ect then on my phone. It also allowed me to get images on the street without being noticed by the subjects, or without the reaction from people which is helpful for what i wanted to achieve. Here i took an image everytime someone walked past. in which i wanted to see what percentage actually stepped on a crack. i decided to use the 'hipstermatic app' which allows me to use different film types and lens filters on the images that im taking. i experimented abit with different lenses and films to achieve the effect that i think works best with the images. 
Below are the images that i got using the b/w black keys extra grainy film and the lucifer VI lens. 








an example of the larger images are here:



















I really like the effect the lens and film has on the image itself. Its slightly grainy, but that is expected of of a camera phone style camera. The square cut of the images fit well with the idea of using these images in a grid style. The images are a highly contrasted black and white which is my personal preference when it comes to black and white. These images just have a very striking feel to them. I also like the fact that it was pretty easy for me to capture the same framing in multiple images without a tripod which is good as it stops me drawing attention to myself.  The lines are abit part of these images and it allows the audiences eye to focus in on the point at which the foot at the lines cross.  I also like the way to which movement is captured in the images with slight blurring. 


I want to experiment more with this process and get together a large collection of images, as well as experimenting with different grids to see what works best.

No comments:

Post a Comment