Friday 8 April 2011

book research- Lewis Baltz

Lewis Baltz's candlestick point is another interesting book that i have found while looking at different books. His work has been described as topography of the emptiness of random, damaged, remote places. The images are very baron and dipict many a landscape.

once again i find myself drawn to a book with such a simplistic cover. Maybe this is because i find myself thinking about a blank cover as so many indivdual themes in one book, it would be more effective to have a simple cover rather then one image that doesnt seem to get the feel of the whole book?
 Once again i also see a more unsual style and use of text. Here it reminds me of such as the text i want to use with my dyptics for he loves me/he loves me not (french for pain and happiness) and how i would want that presented with two singular words spread over a double page like the text below.
 While most of the following layout is straight forwardly the basic two page dyptic with white spaced boarders around the edges one of the things that made me want to write about this book was its mix of black and white imagery with the use of colour. while they are not paired together, most of the images in books will stick to one or the other and not devided between the two types of images. With my book i do have a selection of images that are black and white, which i feel is somewhat out of place, however looking at the combination of black and white accompanied by the odd colour image as seen here im rather impressed by how well it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment